Friday, May 16, 2014

Islands 17

Craigs List is very tempting at times. That is what I tell myself when I look at the small sailboat now parked next to my house. I've had her out a few times, including an inaugural camping trip. Lots of fun, better now that she has a new mainsail and jib. The 30 year old rags that came with it had put in good service, but it was time. The new sails cost almost as much as the boat, but bring a lot of safety and enjoyment.

The Islands 17 is pretty much a replica of the Tanzer 16. I am taking a number of queues from that class and associated sites. When I ordered new sails from JSI, I just sent them the measurements from the Tanzer 16 class. They fit and fill perfectly.

Most of the projects for this boat will be focused on the trailer so it can be moved safely.



The current must have list for the boat includes:
Rebuild kickup rudder head
refinish/replace teak centerboard cover
refinish/replace stern hatch
mount and wire battery for trolling motor
add cleats for docking
paint (pure vanity but would look nice)
new running rigging

This boat may be a good choice for an Everglades Challenge in the future.  These things aren't needed for casual day sailing, in fact they would just add to setup time. For the EC though I think they are key.
Reefing rigging
Topping lift
mast slide gate
lazy jacks
running lights
oar locks? or scull?
lifting floorboard or similar in forward section around centerboard for storage/sleeping platform



No comments: