Saturday, March 14, 2015

Birdsmouth pola - boom practice

I picked up a Birdsmouth bit from Lee Valley a while back and finally made time to use it tonight. In the book Gary Dierking shows the diameter for the pola to be 2 1/2". So I went to Duckworks and pulled an old article with a calculator to find the size of my staves. Just shy of an inch. Ripped some select pine and a cedar board, then set up the router with my new bit and went to town. Loving my Ultimate tool stand, one day I'll redo the router table and make a nice fence bit this is working great for now! Next time I can get out to the garage I'll cut it to size (9') and get ready to glue it up.

The bit was soooooo much easier than trying to do 45degree cuts on the table saw. Well worth it for future masts and paddles.





No comments: